Monday 10 March 2008

London International Dive Show


Decided at the last minute to take a trip down to London for the dive show. Last went to one in NEC, Birmingham about 5 years ago. How time flies! Anyway, I wanted to look at some underwater photographic equipments. So, I thought this would be a good opportunity as all the top trade names would be there. My wife , daughter. and myself caught the 7am train down to Kings Cross. Journey was pleasant enough and it only took us 2.5 hours to get there.

At Kings Cross underground station, we queued for quite a long time to buy our tube tickets for the day. Was quite surprised as usually, it was no effort at all. Anyhow the plan was to take the Southbound Northern Line to London Bridge, and then change to Jubilee Line. This will take us to Canning Town, where we would change to the Dockland Light Rail for a quick 2 stop hop to ExCel London for the show. This was not to be as there was engineering work on Jubilee Line. We had to get off at Canary Wharf tube staion and then had to walk to the DLR station which was about 5 minutes away. From there, we had to take the train to Westferry, where we had to change to another train to get to ExCel. A bit convoluted, but we got there in the end.

The show was not as big as I had anticipated. In fact, judging from the discussions by the divers on Yorkshire Divers forum, it was a disappointment. Anyhow, I got to do what I went down for. Spoke at length to a lady at the Cameras Underwater stand about my requirements. Got it sorted out, but...............its going to cost me!!! The camera housing and accessories will cost me about £2k and for the type of photography that I wanted to do, I have to shell out another £1k more or less to buy a couple of lens. Uuurrgh! I am broke again.....

The journey back............well that's another story!

No comments: