Saturday 13 October 2007

San Francisco


Arrived in San Francisco today. Travelled with KLM via Amsterdam to San Francisco. Got the standard "terrorist treatment" from the Homeland Security officer as usual. What this means is that I was again dragged into a small room for some detailed questioning like writing down my parents' name, dates of birth and address. Anyway, I have to say that they are a lot friendlier here than in Orlando. Took a cab from the airport to my hotel in downtown (Air Travel Hotel) which cost me USD51.00. It's a lot cheaper than the conference hotels (which were fully booked anyway), but the standard is not bad. There's free WiFi here.

After a short rest, I hopped over by foot to San Francisco Hilton, which is only about 5 minutes from here to register for my ASA Conference. With that out of the way, I walked to the Chinatown for some sightseeing and food. I had some Japanese food tonight. I have to say that it is the best Jaqpanese food that I had ever eaten. I ordered a Caterpillar Roll and also a bowl of Nabe Udon noodles. The restaurant is called Sushi Rock and their motto is " What we can't rock, we roll.." The bill came up to about $22, which is only about £11. What a bargain! While I was eating my dinner, I thought that perhaps, I am living in the wrong country, or at least the wrong city. On the way back, a busker was playing "Yuet Liang Tai Piau Wor De Sin" - The moon represents my heart (in mandarin).

First impression of San Francisco?............I like it! But perhaps because it has such a strong Chinese flavour to the place.

No comments: